Saturday, July 16, 2011

SIMI----IM: again

in chehro mai sai jaruur koi jallaad hoga.......
Like after every blast, this time too the police are not sparing former members of the banned outfit Simi ( Students Islamic Movement of India). Some are ruing the day they decided to join the organization.

Take Kamal Khan, for example. The 46-year-old production engineer said: "Whenever there is a terror strike anywhere in the country, the police knock at our door."

Khan, a father of four, was called for questioning by the crime branch after Wednesday's blasts. His troubles began in 2002, when he was arrested for allegedly being a Simi member. "I spent 51 days in jail before being granted bail. My passport was taken and deposited in court. Even after nine years, the trial is not over. Witness examination has just begun," he said.

Khan, who imports cosmetics and electronics, said the police abuse him each time he is called. "Constables use dirty language in front of my family members. When I protest, they say they are under pressure to detect any (terror) case and ill-treat us under their bosses' pressure.

"After the first Ghatkopar blast, I was ordered by the crime branch to be at the unit by 9 am. But I would be allowed to leave only at 8 or 9 pm. This exercise went on for 40 days. I am used to it, but want an end to my troubles."

A few months ago, his godown was reduced to ashes, as a result of which he suffered losses worth Rs 70 lakh. "I was merely a friend of a few SIMI members," he said. "After the group was banned, a crackdown began and the police started arresting anyone who was close to or a friend of a SIMI member. I, too, was picked up. My business was ruined and several people in my profession avoided me for sometime. I am out on bail, attending court hearings, but the damage has been done."

The police also called Khan's business partner. "They ordered him to remove his belt, wrist watch and wallet," Khan said. "Then a policeman told him: 'You are not cooperating and will be arrested.' But he was allowed to leave afterwards."

No comments:

Post a Comment